Skip to main content

Small Acts, Big Difference Part 2

While it may seem small, the ripple effects of small things is extraordinary ~ Matt Bevin (former governor of Kentucky)

Small Thing #2 - Food for the Soul                

🎃
In the last post I talked about how coffee or the communion over a cup of it has a therapeutic path to the heart.  In my mind it has a best friend, a Thelma to its Louise, a Dean Martin to its Frank Sinatra, a Bert to its Ernie (ok I'm done) - that's right: food.  

🎃 No surprise.  An Irish proverb says "Laughter is the brightest in the place where food is good." In much the same way coffee has the power to hug someone, a small gesture of the gift of food conveys to someone they have been valued.  


Matt 25:35 "For I was hungry, and you fed me."  

Matt 25:40 "And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'"  

Hebrews 13:16 "And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need.  These are the sacrifices that please God." 

Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than to receive." 



🎃 One of our oldest customs dating back thousands of years is the tradition of bringing food to funerals.  The Amish bring a raisin-filled funeral pie. In colonial America a funeral cookie and alcoholic beverage were consumed on the way from the church to the cemetery.  In Victorian England the death notice was wrapped around the cookie and sent out to friends and families of the deceased.  Food inherently comforts and conveys community.  

                                                Victorian funeral cookies (
http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews153.shtml)

🎃 I don't think we necessarily have to wait for funerals to bless people with food.  We all understand how insanely rushed our family's schedules are today, and when someone's life is disrupted by a hospital stay of a loved one or an event that has dominated someone's time (finals, tournaments, overtime at work, house guests, moving etc) it wreaks havoc on our inner peace.  

🎃 As someone who has moved 10 times I know how hard it is to make a meal when you are moving!  Ugh- take out far too many nights gets pretty old! Life hack: if someone is moving pick up a cute dish at a thrift store and give it to them with food in it. 

🎃 To use food gifts as a means to show kindness, it doesn't need to be a big deal or expensive to be ready for any of these circumstances. Next time you bake or cook, make extra and freeze.  Here are some suggestions- I tried to provide links to make your life easier 😉

🎃 For snacks - 
    
  • small loaves of quick bread or cookies (baked or bought & frozen). Here's a great & easy cinnamon quick bread I found on Pinterest (❤) 
  •  trail mix, nuts
  •  granola bars   
For "on-the-go" food for hospital or road snacks these bags from Michael's are really inexpensive to put the goodies in.

🎃 For meals -
  • easy one pot pasta (of course found on Pinterest ❤) & if you want you can add sausage on top in frozen foil containers (pick some up at the Dollar Tree so you have them on hand)
  • salad packages from any store
  • ham is always a great option because it can be eaten for any meal and lasts a while
  • soup (to go with your bread)
  • charcuterie tray - salami, cheese, crackers
  • fruit/veggie tray

🎃  I love that with a tiny bit of forethought I can extend a hand of consideration to a friend, neighbor or coworker the way it has been shown to me numerous times. It etches a heart on my soul both when I've been the busy mom recipient or the busy mom giver.  I can't think of a better stitch in a wound for me than to reach out to let another know that you have been there.   

✙ Lord, just as the Good Samaritan helped a stranger, lead us to feed our neighbor with the abundance of what You have provided.  Open our eyes and hearts to be generous to the poor or poor in spirit. Multiply our time so we can be generous with it. Amen. (Prov 22:9)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh