Skip to main content

In everything give thanks...but how?

     
                                                                    


"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." ~A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

 I love Thanksgiving - I love the concept, the holiday, the traditions, the attitude.  There is so much packed into that one word that is healing and powerful.  Giving thanks has so much potency in our lives; it literally gets us (& others) through some of the most difficult seasons.

     Gratitude, according to Psychology Today  leads to new & lasting relationships, improved sleep & health, less aches & pains, increased generosity & empathy, more alertness, improved self esteem & overall greater happiness.  Wow!  With that many benefits why is it so hard to be grateful?


 Problem: the constant stream of global information into our lives may be an arch-enemy of gratitude.  It is so nice to be apprised of current events but let's face it, the media thrives on sensationalism, so "breaking news" is typically negative or shocking.  While I believe in being informed, I also want to counteract with a response that doesn't deplete my emotional storehouse. 

      Remedy: just like we practice other skills & responses in our lives (fire drills, evacuations, breathing, exercises), we need to discipline our minds for gratitude attitudes.  Harvard Health says having gratitude leads to a more positive mood and makes you happier.  Whaaat?  Give me some more of that!                
    
As a retired math teacher, I had multiple ways to "drill" my students: in class there were daily practices to train their brain for expectations of work, behavior, attitude.  As a school, we had monthly fire drills & events- all designed to elicit a memorized familiar behavioral response to external stimuli.
    
















          As parents or employers, we set to establish and practice routines to norm our kids or employees of our expectations in the same way.  
     Let's apply that to our personal daily lives through our quiet time with God:

STEP 1: - See what God's Word says about it.  The Bible mentions some version of thanksgiving         or thankfulness about 70 times each in the Old and New Testament, depending on the                    version you are using.  Read the Bible everyday, even if it's just a few minutes. As God so            graciously ALWAYS does, He uses His word to guide us.  Here's a few verses:
    

    Philippians 4:6-7  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with     thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding,        will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

    1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is        God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

    Psalm 118:29  "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever."

    James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,            because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work        so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." 

    Psalm 9:1  "I will give thanks to You Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds."


STEP 2 - Ask God what He wants you to hear from His Word.

STEP 3 - Focus on the promises God gives you for obeying Him in this. 
  
STEP 4 - Respond by thanking Him - if you are already in the habit of talking to Him, say it in prayer.  I found journaling my responses helps me to stay focused- consider some of these prompts if you need help getting started.

  If we find we are spewing out complaints and negativity, we must be taking too much of it in and just letting it simmer.  To be able to live out a life of gratitude, be filled up with it.  Breath in life-giving words, breath out appreciation and sincerity.    Others will find it contagious, refreshing, and encouraging to be around.  Scatter flowers.  


 ✙ Dear Lord, as You taught us to pray with a heart of thanksgiving, we confess sometimes it's hard because we eye the circumstances instead of You, Almighty God. Help us to be disciplined & obedient in this practice of gratitude toward You & others.  Help us to wrap ourself in who You are, and who we are because of the precious gift of Your Son. Thank You for the beautiful circle of ones You've put in our lives that You love dearly.  Help us to show them appreciation.  Amen.




Comments

  1. What an awesome blog post Terri! I’m going to screenshot those verses and keep them handy to read when I need an attitude of gratitude reminder ☺️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gratitude theme! Sometimes its difficult to remember how blessed I am, but this is a gentle reminder to give thanks to God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!!!! What a wonderful post with reminders we all need to hear as we embark into a new holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh