Skip to main content

The Best Medicine



"If I were given the opportunity to present a gift to the next generation, it would be the ability for each individual to learn to laugh at himself." ~Charles M. Schulz


 Laughter.  It is contagious.  Look at what happens on a New York subway when one person starts to laugh.  


How about this bus stop-tell me you couldn't watch this without laughing.



Of all the emotions we are able to express, joyous laughter seems to be the most powerful.  It can diffuse a potentially volatile situation, turn away a sad heart, lighten the stress, and take the mind off a pain.  


 It's not just wishful thinking; there's science behind it.  Studies show that laughter benefits your psychological health, reminding you, for example, after we've done something goofy, that all eyes are not always on you- creating a lightheartedness to some of the scenarios of life.  When we are able to laugh at ourselves it keeps us in a teachable mindset, open to learning and growing.  


Clearly not all situations are able to be laughed off; Ecclesiastes 3:4  tells us there is "a time to cry and a time to laugh". But there are so many potentially negative things that happen in our world and personal lives, and to be able to sift them through our minds and find a way to lighten their intensity seems to forge a path of recovery from them.  


 Laughing also benefits us biologically according to the Mayo Clinic, by stimulating the organs & circulation, cooling down your stress response, helping your immune system, and relieving your pain.  God knew this, being the Great Physician that He is, because He told us in Proverbs 17:22 that "a cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength." 

I try to incorporate humor as much as possible into my math class.  What's more stressful than math, right?  And what's more stressful than middle school (at least to middle-schoolers).  It's all incredibly stressful to me, so that's really why I do it - I feel the tension leave me as I laugh at my own jokes.  


In math class I see what I like to call "math face" most of the time.



What's your situation or face?  Is it the unapproachable scowl, the determined fixation of "I'm right-you're not", the frustrated "I can't even deal with this right now", or the "I'm gonna cry so you might not want to talk to me right now" countenance? 

Or do you convey an approachable, friendly, "I'm looking for a reason to erupt in laughter" smile?  Over the years I have become painfully aware of times when I am just looking unfriendly as I go about my business.  It's something to just think about.  I've decided I am going to enjoy the laugh lines.

🎥 There are benefits to watching comedy movies as well-


Of course our Lord, the inventor of laughter, knew we would need it.  I'm thinking once in a while He laughs at stuff we do.  At least I hope He does.  Psalm 2:4 says "But the One who rules in heaven laughs."   As the creator of our emotions, He talks about joy over 430 times in the ESV version of the bible.  I would say He intends for us to earnestly seek joy and find it in our daily lives.  


Job 8:21 "He will once again fill your hearts with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."

Prov 15:13 " A glad heart makes a happy face; a broken heart crushes the spirit."

Ecclesiastes 8:15 "So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink and enjoy life.  That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun." 



✙ Lord, thank You for the gift of laughter & joy.  What a difference a smile makes in our lives.  Would Your Spirit help us to be aware of our disposition, and look for ways to brighten others' days with positive, cheerful, encouraging laughter?  Sometimes on our own we get caught up in the messiness of life, but we know You always provide a way out.  Bring someone in our path this day that we can share a smile with. Make us intentional with our actions Lord.  Thank You for walking alongside us always.  Amen.  







Comments

  1. Your humor and wit has brightened many of my days! As this blog does too! Thank you Terri❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- needed to hear those words of encouragement after a long day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh