Skip to main content

The Power of One.

 



"I am only one but still I am one. I cannot do everything but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something I can do." ~Edward Everett Hale, activist for emancipation

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

The Power of One.  In a big world where we seem to be enveloped by the information communication abyss, it's easy to feel powerless and insignificant.  Even when we use strong language and take our stand we wonder, when there's so much division in our country -will it even make a difference? Will anyone even notice?  

Sometimes we purposefully  seek out change, and sometimes we are thrust into it unknowingly.  Each of these stories in this blog are people who made a difference by their actions - men & women of intentionality.  People who had decided long before predicaments who they were and what they wanted to be about.  People of conviction.


💚💚💚💚💚💚💚


Mother Teresa-committing herself to a religious life at the age of 12, among many things to impact the poor, she helped fund mobile leprosy clinics for those who suffered from the stigma. She said, "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you."  While inviting the destitute to dine with them in their home, her mother instilled in her at a young age that "some of them are our relations but all of them are our people." 

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚


Esther- 
With a whole book in the bible named after her, and one where God is not mentioned at all, it is clear He wants us to do the right thing by using our influence for the good of others. As a young beautiful Jewish woman made queen by a Persian king, she risked her life to help her people.  She relinquished her control, acknowledging that "if I perish, I perish" in response to Mordecai encouraging her that possibly she was placed here for "such a time as this".  In this Bible Project depiction of Esther's story, it's clear she relied on her upbringing & guidance by her cousin Mordecai when put in straining circumstances.


💚💚💚💚💚💚💚
   
                                                                                        photo source 
Malala Yousafzai-after the Taliban took over her village & girls were forbidden to go to school, she spoke out & was targeted by the Taliban & shot in the face while on a bus.  She recovered miraculously & started a foundation to fund young girls' education.  She received a Nobel Peace Prize in 2014.


                    

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚


Keisha Thomas-young 18 year old who was protesting a KKK rally protected a white supremacist from being harmed by the crowd, saying "You can't beat goodness into a person."  Later, she said she did what she did due to her religious convictions, and that she "knew what it was like to be hurt".  Afterwards, she was thanked by the man's son.  The photo was famously captured as one of Life Magazine's "Picture of the Year" by Mark Brunner. 






                                                    photo source   
Sir Nicholas Winton- saved 669 children from the Holocaust by finding families and housing for them as they fled Germany, though he was only 29 and had no prior experience in this field. 

Now, over 6000 people are alive because of his efforts. He was a humble man who never sought recognition & never talked about what he did, until a news story unveiled it & he was knighted by the Queen.

      
💚💚💚💚💚💚💚


All of these stories were people who courageously took one step of faith, or several day after day, into the unknown & uncomfortable, some risking their lives.  Not all are called to risk their lives, but who knows the impact our small acts of helping others can turn into?  


Our world needs heroes; our capes can be kind words to strangers, food to the hungry, a hug to an elderly person, an encouraging word to a colleague, a hand extended to a child, asking someone how you can pray for them.  

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

Jesus, the ultimate extended hand of love to a world that thinks they don't need Him, said,

"For I was hungry, and you fed me.  I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink.  I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.  I was naked, and you gave me clothing.  I was sick, and you cared for me.  I was in prison, and you visited me." And when asked when that was ever done to Him, He replied, "I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me." Matthew 35-36, 40 





✙ Our Father in Heaven, let us be Your words, actions & heart here on earth.  Open our eyes, mouths & wallets to extend the goodness You have given us to others.  Help us to be courageous today & take one small step towards feeling a little out of our ordinary.  Thank You for the Spirit of boldness You have placed in us.  Help us to rely on it.  Amen.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh