Skip to main content

Lean on Me...

 



"Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends."  ~H. Jackson Brown Jr., author

 💛 What do you think of when the word "friend" comes to your mind?  Calling them at any time and for no reason?  Being able to share any secret with them?  Relying on them for honest therapy?  Gut-laughing til your sides hurt?  Loving you through the hard stuff?  

As the U.S. Surgeon General just released a report declaring America is experiencing an 'epidemic of loneliness and isolation', the importance of friendship is screaming at us.  How do we ever get by in this tough world without having and being the kind of friend described above?  As I begin my sixth decade of life, it is so apparent how much I appreciate, value and depend on my friends.  

 💛 For fun, match the quote with the famous friends from our culture: (answers at the end).

A.  "You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.  You have to go to them sometimes." 

B.  "Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think.  It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."

C.  "John, I don't have friends.  I have one."

D.  "Dean was my brother.  Not through blood but through choice.  Good times and bad, we were there together."

E.  "Check it out. We're bracelet buddies!"

F.  "Go back Sam, I'm going to Mordor alone."  
     "Of course you are. And I'm coming with you."

G.  "You'll always be my best friend,  You know too much."

1.  Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin

2.  Sam and Frodo, Lord of the Rings

3.  Winnie the Pooh & Piglet

4.  Lucy & Ethel

5.  Joey & Chandler, Friends sitcom

6.  Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson

7.  Anne Shirley & Miss Barry, Anne of Green Gables






💛  Our Lord prioritizes friendship in His Word, starting with His friendship with us.  He said in John 15:13  "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends."  And then Jesus laid down His life for us.  

He spoke further:

    John 15:14  He says,"You are my friends if you do what I command."

    John 15:15  He continues, "Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me."



💛   In regard to our friendships with others:

    Prov 27:17  "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

    Prov 22:24  "Don't befriend angry people or associate with hot-tempered people, or you will learn to be like them and endanger your soul."

    Prov 17:17 "A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need." 


    Prov 18:24  "There are 'friends' who destroy each other but a real friend sticks closer than a brother."

    Prov 27:9  "The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense." 


💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛
Answers: A3, B7, C6, D1, E5, F2, G4
💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛


✙  Lord, You have given us the ultimate friendship that we are so grateful for - the extension of Your hand reaching out to us so we can spend eternity with You.  Our sin separated us from You, but You made a way.  Forgive us for all the times we aren't good friends to You & to others.  Direct our hearts to desire a deeper friendship with You so that it will overflow in our lives to others.  Thank You for constantly desiring our friendship.  Amen.

 

Comments

  1. Thank you for writing this my treasured life long friend! My life has been so much sweeter with having you in it since we were in the 3rd grade, even if you don’t concede that Frank is better than Dean 😂 Thanks for your written truth that Jesus is our freely given and eternal friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:           ...

Knocking on Heaven's Door

  "Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal." ~ Troy Ramey, artist My mom knocked on heaven's door this week, and was let in.  She had lived 94 years on this earth- through the Great Depression, tragedy, and a host of health issues- but plodded on with feistiness and a sense of humor. My mourning wasn't the only woe being experienced this week- miscarriages, mental illness, broken family relationships, fear of uncertainty - all woes this broken world has handed out to people I love.  And the prince of this world loves to throw them at us relentlessly.  Lord, how do we endure? How do we fight back the tendency to grow tired of it and let it rob us of our  joy? We ask God to give us the fruit of self-control and guard our minds.    "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."...

Oh The Places You'll Go!

  Reading of "Oh The Places You'll Go  "Congratulations!  Today is your day!  You're off to great places!  You're off and away!  ~ Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess It's that time of year - hundreds of thousands are graduating from preschool through college and Dr. Seuss wrote a primary book that applies to each one of these levels - it's really quite genius. 🎓  Touching on some of the conceptual highlights, as always we sift them through God's Word... 🎓  "You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes" - "So prepare your minds for actions and exercise self-control.  Put all your hope in the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world."  1 Pet 1:13 🎓  "You can steer yourself any direction you choose"; avoid the 'not so good street'.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek His will in all you do, and He will s...