Skip to main content

Who's Your Hero?

 


"If you're nothing without the suit, then you shouldn't have it." ~ Ironman to Spiderman

 Everybody likes a superhero.  They right the wrong, use their amazing gifts, punish the bad guy, ALWAYS have the best quotes, and definitely have the most distinguishing attire.  Their confidence helps them dive right into a scary situation with no fear, and their reliability is unthinkable.  They are part of a team, and have learned to work together to combat & conquer evil with each of their strengths.  

Hmmm.... if only we, as Christians, who actually have the REAL power, the REAL strength, the REAL foundation of courage & righteousness, and the REAL faithfulness in us, could learn to live their life of fearlessness.  (Disclaimer: I'm not saying Spiderman and Ironman aren't real.)

 And as much as I HATE spiders, I found a crazy amount of correlation between Spiderman movies & our lives.  I'm thinking the writers of these superhero movies are familiar with the Bible?



Sometimes we have a tendency to hide - from God & from each other.  Adam & Eve learned that hiding from God put them in a very bad situation, and that even after- when the two presented themselves to Him- He took care of them by clothing their naked bodies.  (Gen 3:21)

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before His eyes, and He is the one to whom we are accountable." Heb 4:13

Instead of trying to hide from God, who is omnipresent and omniscient, turn to Him and have the attitude of the psalmist- "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" (Ps 139:23-24)


 No one really wants to admit or expose their weaknesses (unless it gets you out of a job you don't want to do -like me when my husband wants me to grill or recall anything historical) and it's pretty challenging sometimes to admit to someone we were wrong, or we did them wrong.  The people we do life together with daily are sometimes the hardest ones to confess our sin to - is it because we have an image of ourselves we are trying to uphold?  

I constantly need to be reminded of Paul's instruction to us- "Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.  Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others too."  (Phil 2:3-4)  

As Christ followers, we are to look to Him.  Paul described Jesus- "Though He was God He did not regard equality with God as something to cling to.  Instead, He gave up His divine privileges , He took the humble position of a slave, and was born as a human being.  When He appeared in human form, He humbled Himself in obedience to God, and died a criminal's death on a cross. (Phil 2:6-8)

God knew this would be hard for us, so He offers us help to accomplish it.  He gives us the suit.
His suit. 
    



Just like the superheroes, along with the suit He gave us our own gifts.    He gave us different kinds of gifts, service, and workings, but He is behind all of it.  "But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as He wanted them to be." (1 Cor 12: 18)  We are designed to work as a whole unit, as 1 Corinthians 12 says.


If you haven't ever taken a spiritual gifts inventory you can do it now.  Start noticing other people's gifts and encourage them to use theirs as well.  If our goal with other Christ-followers is to introduce others to Christ as their savior we can work as a team in our life ministry.  



 Back to the original question of this blog - Who is your hero?  

It seems like humanity has placed some pretty questionable characters as heroes/idols - Hollywood, athletes, social media popularity, politicians, money, fame.  

I want my hero to be evident.  The One who came down from perfect heaven to sin-stained earth willingly.  He was ridiculed, unappreciated and mocked.  He healed the sick, gave life back to the dead, spoke words of life to the down-trodden & poor in spirit, and strengthened the weak, among many things.  He works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose for them (Rom 8:28).

I hope this encourages you to remember today whose Heroic Spirit is inside of you.


 And it's not Spiderman.



✙ Lord, You are our hero.  Please make it evident in our lives who we live for.  Help us to access Your power, Your Spirit, Your strength today.  Help us to realize when we are down-trodden that You are still right here with us to speak those words of life into us.  Lead us to You - take out our busyness & things we may be putting into idol positions.  We desire to be like You and You only.  Amen. 




(click here for recipe)































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh