Skip to main content

Sunrise, Sunset- Swiftly Flow The Years...

 


One sunrise and sunset that seemed to make time stand still.

"Traditions, traditions. Without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as...as...as...a *fiddler* on the roof!" ~Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof


🌄 My sweet late father-in-law told the story of a woman who prepared her holiday ham by cutting off the end and placing it in the pan before putting it in the oven.  When her daughter began hosting the holiday meal, she did the same thing to the ham.  Then this woman's granddaughter carried on the tradition in her generation, carefully cutting off the end of the ham before putting it in the pan to bake it.  She asked her grandmother what the meaning was behind this tradition, and the grandmother said simply, "I didn't have a pan big enough to hold the whole ham, so I had to cut it."


As we kick off the holidays it's so fun to start preparing for our traditions.  I'm finding as I am officially "the grandmother" that I wished I would have started some traditions with my kids. 

When I was a kid my family didn't really have any traditions that I can think of, except for playing blackjack with our change after dinner.  Scoff if you will, but I learned my math skills from this.  And I had some fun game time with my dad.



🌄  I remember starting a lot of things, but as a busy mom I found that follow- through wasn't my strength.  The only tradition I've found I've established is forgetting where I hid the presents and forgetting the rolls in the oven.  My kids even count on this.  

As a grandma, however, I can have a fresh "do-over".  And, by the way, this doesn't just apply to grandmas.  There's no rule book that says as a mom you can't start them.  Or as a daughter, a neighbor, an aunt, or a friend.


🌄 Why start traditions?  What makes them so enticing even if they are inconvenient to adhere to?  According to an Oregon counseling website, traditions matter to our mental health because they give us structure and comfort, foster a sense of being and belonging, connect us with each other, and generally make people happier and healthier.


A tradition is a belief or behavior passed down within a group or society with 
symbolic meaning or special significance with origins in the past.




The Bible, particularly the Old Testament, is filled with rituals and ceremonies, and the Jewish people had century-old customs that are celebrated to this day.  Their purposes are deeply rooted in reminding them of the goodness and faithfulness of God, which is an AWESOME reason to practice them.  The danger with traditions is that you get so used to them their meaning can be in danger of being dulled.  Some of the Jewish people tended to let that happen to them time and time again in the OT.


Not judging them; just noticing how human they are.  Kind of like me.  





As Christians we have traditions- we take communion, get baptized, dedicate our children, celebrate Christmas as our Lord's entrance into this world as a human, and celebrate Easter as His resurrection after being crucified on a cross for our sins.  We worship at our church, study our bibles, and pray.  All of these traditions are life-giving.  


Sometimes traditions are for celebrating the goodness God has given us with family and friends.  I always put out this little Christmas tree that my gracious mother in law gave me years ago.  It reminds me of her. 


Some traditions don't seem as critical (decorating my tree, putting up my Christmas village, baking cookies, watching Christmas movies, preparing holiday meals) except for the fact that I want to spend time with my family and friends, be part of their lives, enjoy their company, and walk through life with them.  It's one way I can show my love for them.  



🌄 I want to make sure I am not "dulled" to any traditions I am participating in.  Measure each action, thought, response, tradition - whatever it is - by this verse:

Colossians 3:17  "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."





The days go by so fast, and especially the holidays.  Be intentional about your traditions-

🂱 Slice/don't slice your ham, in a holiday meal shared with your family-they are precious.  

🂱 Go Christmas caroling, it might bring cheer to someone (besides you).  

🂱 Write your Christmas cards, to reach out to family & friends to let them know they are thought of. 

🂱 Do something kind without receiving credit, to encourage someone.  

🂱 Give a present, someone might need to feel significant.  

🂱 Feed another, because they are hungry.

🂱 Visit someone, because they might be lonely.

🂱 Invite someone, because they might need to feel included.

🂱 Donate clothes, because someone might be cold.

🂱 Buy a police officer a coffee, because you are being protected by them.

🂱 Notice someone else - with a compliment or note, because they just might need to be noticed.

🂱 Spend a little extra time with someone, just because they might need it.  Or you might.


 Some of these can be spontaneous, some might require a few minutes of planning or preparation.  All are completely doable, many don't cost money, but if done because you want someone to feel the love of Christ, none are in vain.  

What traditions do you have?  I'd love to hear about them in the comment section.  It would give others some great ideas and encourage us.


🌄 Enjoy the sunrises and sunsets of this season. 


✙ Heavenly Father, thank You for coming down from Your perfect heaven to live among us.  This upcoming season expand our hearts with more love for others than we've ever had.  Make our eyes see who needs to be seen.  Teach us to love on others better like You.  Make us intentional for You.  Amen.
















Comments

  1. Beautiful Terri, thank you for these words and for giving significance to how meaningful traditions can be, especially in the framework of Christ’s love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful inspiration, reminder and encouragement! You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh