Skip to main content

Love Is...

 
Google image

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye."
~H. Jackson Brown Jr, author of Life's Little Instruction Book

💗 Did you know one of the most expensive Valentine's gifts is a $366,500 pair of sunglasses made from 60 grams of gold & 51 river diamonds?  How long would it be before you lost them or sat on them accidentally?  Yikes.  

Maybe if that doesn't demonstrate one's love quite enough - there is the $647,000 pen containing 840 diamonds & over 20 carats of gemstones.  Sure, I wouldn't lose that. 

💗 Or there's the ever popular dinner at the top of the Empire State Building for $10,000.  I put the link in the picture below if you are interested in buying tickets.  I mean, the view's totally worth it. 


Valentine's Day makes us think of love.  Which makes me think of chocolate.  
Just kidding.  Not just any chocolate - I'm much more specific - See's Bordeaux Bars.  Which... I give to my family because I love them so much.  See how I just veiled how superficial and shallow I can be?  

💗 Actually I think I am deeper than I ever have been since I became a grandmother.  I get a second chance to take the time with little ones that I wish I had when I was a mom.  The layers of love that are added on are unexplainable.  

What is the definition of love?  Is it expensive gifts as a display of commitment?  Is it time together experiencing the best this world has to offer in entertainment?  Is it a puppy? 


💗 Actually, we've all probably heard it at one wedding or another.  The verses from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 in the Bible.  But what do they really mean?  I am not an authority on this, but I know who the author of Love is, and how He has demonstrated His perfect and unending Love to me.  

    💗 Love is patient, 
     "But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and 
abundance in  lovingkindness and truth." Ps 86:15
    💗 love is kind.
        "When God our Savior revealed His kindness and love, He saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy."  Titus 3:4.5

    💗 It does not envy,
"A peaceful mind gives life to the body, but jealousy rots the bones." Prov 14:30

    💗 it  does not boast,
        "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that, not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast." Eph 2:8,9

    💗 it isn't proud.
    "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." James 4:6

    💗 It does not dishonor others, 

        "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matt 7:12

    💗 it is not self-seeking,
        "Do nothing out of selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind, let each of you regard one another as more important than himself" Phil 2:3

    💗 it is not easily angered,
        "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires." James 1:19,20

    💗 it keeps no record of wrongs.
"For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." Jer 31:34

    💗 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
        "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, not stand in the         path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night." Ps 1: 1-2

    💗 it always protects,
        "But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one." 
2 Thess 3:3

    💗 always trusts,
    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In 
all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Prov 3:5,6

    💗 always hopes,
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and 
not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11

    💗 always perseveres.
"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, 
that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who 
love him." James 1: 12

    💗 Love never fails.
"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy 
and be glad all our days." Ps 90:14

So maybe take those sunglasses and pen back and give instead love that we've been given.

The purest definition of true Love, given by the incomprehensible, most gracious gift of Love in Jesus and what He's done for us by dying on the cross for our sins.  A free gift.  We just need to accept it. 

💗 Happy Valentine's Day.  Every day.  

 Heavenly Father, thank You for constantly showing us how much You love us.  It's hard for us to imagine Your sacrifice in the act of giving up Your Son on the cross so that we could spend eternity with You.  Accept our love back, even though it seems insufficient.  You make us enough. Enlarge our hearts for you so we can love You more and love others more. Amen.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh