Skip to main content

Sticks and Stones...

 


google image

"Until we care more about what God thinks than what other people think we are truly never free."~Christine Caine



The Constitution guarantees us freedom- of religion, press, peaceable assembly, etc. - all things on this earth.  But in spite of dedicating their lives to public service to protect these freedoms, even the early U.S. Presidents weren't immune from criticism & nicknames:

    George Washington - "Fake Patriot" - called this by a newspaper after he signed an unpopular treaty with Britain.  He was vital in the creation of our Constitution.
    John Quincy Adams - "Mad Old Man"- but went on to fight slavery repeatedly while in office.

    James Madison - "His Little Majesty" - because he was 5'4" and 100 pounds (something he had literally no control over).  Wrote the 'Federalist Papers' and helped ratify the Constitution, referred to as the "Father of the Constitution".


    William Henry Harrison"General Mum" - because he avoided addressing controversial issues during his campaign.  He was an accomplished military general & helped bring about the Treaty of Ghent to help end slave trade & the war of 1812.

    Rutherford B. Hayes - "His Fraudulency" - won his election by one electoral
vote.  He brought integrity to the office after the scandalous previous presidency of Ulysses S. Grant, & signed an act allowing female attorneys to practice before the Supreme Court.

Men, dedicating their lives to God-given liberties for their country, and were ridiculed for different things throughout their careers.  

Criticism. Ridicule. Mockery. Judgment. Raise your hand if you haven't faced any form of these.  Waiting... 

Of course, ours isn't usually on a national stage, in the press or online.  Ours can be within our spheres of life - from family, friends, acquaintances or co-workers.  But doesn't it still hurt?  

It especially hurts when we are trying to do the right thing, or build a relationship with a particular person.  Our intentions are right but it is perceived as wrong.  Sometimes we are the ones being called "judgmental".  

Jesus knows what that feels like- 

Jesus Mocked by the Soldiers, Edouard Manet 1865
  •     He was betrayed by a 'friend' (Mark 14:44, Luke 22:4) 
  •     denied being known by a close follower (Mark 14:66-71, Luke 22:3-6), 
  •     spit on (Mark 14:65), 
  •     mocked & beaten (Luke 22:63-65, Mark 15:17-20, John 19:1-5), 
  •     whipped for no crime (Mark 15:15), 
  •     crucified on a cross (Matt 27:32-56, Mark 15: 21-25, Luke 23:26-49, John 19:16-18).  

Isaiah 53:3-3 says "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we esteemed Him not." 

When we feel rejection go to God's Word.  When we see others being rejected, comfort them with God's Word.  Reach out to them and remind them they are not alone, that God's love for them will never fail, that He can bring good out of this rejection experience.  God is our safe place.


Jesus told us, "If the world hates you, remember that it hated Me first." John 15:18

Freedom from the clutches of this world, into the freedom that Jesus offers our souls:  

"Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you.  Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matt 11:28-29

Yes, this world has sticks and stones.  Sometimes we are even the ones who throw them.  All of it is an opportunity to lay things at the feet of Our Savior whose approval is the only one we need.

Happy President's Day. 

"Obviously, I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God.  If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant." Gal 1:10

✙ Heavenly Father, You know our every thought, feeling, action - You tell us You see us not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but You look on the heart. Give us the courage it takes to not seek the approval of this world, but only Yours.  Nudge us to love on others that feel rejected so they can know Your precious Love for them. Amen.





Comments

  1. Consistently relevant for the times, encouraging & inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh