Skip to main content

Ní neart go cur le chéile

 
Irish friendship ring symbol

"There are good ships and wood ships, ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be." ~ traditional Irish toast


"Ní neart go cur le chéile" - there is no strength without unity.  I'm not Irish (except for on St. Patrick's Day-haha), but they seem to have their sayings right.  I mean, who would doubt the inventors of Irish coffee, corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, Irish shortbread, & black pudding (just kidding - that one sounds gross). 

☘ We love the land that brought us songs from the likes of the Celtic women, U2the Irish Tenors, Chasing Abbey singing "Oh My Johnny" (my new favorite song) -they have contributed so much to our joy 🎶.  


All this month as we honor women in history, I have tried not to ignore the aspect of friendship that is so integral to our lives, and the unity we share in so many facets of our daily being.



☘ Women are leaders, listeners, inventors, problem solvers, teachers, consolers, forgivers, entertainers, and faith builders, along with a billion other things.  We are able to be independent, courageous, humble, genuine and kind. We have each been one of these things to someone, or benefited from them being this for us.  


☘ What burden isn't made lighter by a cup of coffee with a friend?  Sometimes all we need is a safe place to process life's challenges, and a friend's presence is just the thing.  The friend that listens with her heart, and can make you laugh instantly reinforces the foundation that you aren't alone on this sometimes 'horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day' you may be having.  

God defines friendship's value:

"A sweet friendship refreshes the soul." Prov 27:9
💚
"A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need." Prov 17:17
💚
"So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
1 Thes 5:11
💚
"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help." Ecc 4:9-10
💚
"One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Prov 18:24
💚
"Behold how good and how pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity!" Ps 133:1


FRIENDSHIP BLESSINGS

May God give you...
for every storm, a rainbow,
for every tear, a smile,
for every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
for every sigh, a sweet song,
and an answer for each prayer.

May the friendship you make, 
be those which endure
and all of your gray clouds
be small ones for sure.
And trusting in Him
to whom we all pray, 
may a song fill your heart,
every step of the way.
May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.
                                  ~traditional Irish friendship blessing



☘ So on this St. Patrick's Day, where luck is emphasized, as children of the Almighty (where luck is never involved), let's ask God how we can be a friend that points our friends to God.  If you have a friend that has pointed you to God, thank them💚.

✙ Dear Lord, You have given us the gift of friends, and You are our best one.  Thanks for being the one who always listens, never judges, always forgives, and wants the best for us.  Show us who needs a friend & help us to be just that to someone today- to point them to You.  Amen. 

Comments

  1. A true friend is the best gift. We are all called to be "present" to one another!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh