Skip to main content

Wait. Did You Just Say Wait?

 

Google image

"I stopped understanding math when the alphabet started getting involved." ~ anonymous

∞ Who remembers what Pythagorean Theorem is?   Either you are right now beaming with pride because you can picture a right triangle in your head and the equation or your stomach is churning.  


Or how to find the equation of a line? Maybe your 8th grade math teacher's voice haunts you until you cough up y=mx + b.  (And hopefully you remember the song and the dance that accompanies it.)  Aaahhh, to reminisce about the beautiful things in life.  

∞ I know for about half of the world algebra equations cause extreme anxiety, but the beauty of math is, if you understand when, where & why those equations fit in, you just need to apply them and bada bing- problem solved.  

You know I'm about to link algebra with the real world now, right?  25 years of teaching math and there are so many!  Here it is: How easy would life be if we just needed to find the right equation, and use it and our struggles would be over?  Though God shows repeatedly through nature and His order of it that He is The Great Mathematician, our relationship with Him isn't cut and dried like math.

Controlling our life situations Is one of the hardest things we refrain from doing, isn't it?  We are women - aka problem solvers, action-takers, conflict resolvers.  Waiting does not come easy to us.  It's in our blood (or at least our head).  We were told from a young age that we could do anything we put our mind to and not to take 'no' for an answer.  

While that may be true, as followers of Christ we know that when we relinquish control to Him, then it always turns out for our best.  So how do we submit to His control and resist the urge to handle everything on our own?

∞ WAIT.

Wait as we pray directly to God about our struggles.  Wait for direction - examine His Word to see if He has spoken on it.  Turn the noise/distractions off & trust the God of the universe bending His ear down to hear your requests as you ask Him for wisdom.    

 ∞ The other day I heard a radio pastor talk about Noah (who I would call the 'king of waiting').  So I went to Genesis 6 to explore more.  

  • Noah was 500 years old when God told him to build an ark.  'Noah walked faithfully with God' so he knew & trusted God's voice already, and obeyed.
  • It took Noah 7 days to load all those animals on the boat.  
  • Noah was 600 when the rain started.  So we have to assume he took the good part of a year to build the ark.  
  • It rained for 40 days & the waters flooded for 150 days.
  • Noah waited 2 and a 1/2 months more as the waters receded.
  • After another 40 days Noah released a raven and a dove but they couldn't land.
  • After another 7 days Noah released the dove again.
  • After another 7 days Noah released the dove again, & it returned with an olive branch.
  • After another 7 days, the dove was released but it didn't come back.
  • Noah waited another two months til the land was dry.
∞ Sometimes I don't have the patience to wait until my microwave popcorn is all the way popped.  

Don't wait like you did in math class - not making eye contact with the teacher, saying "I don't know", or pretending you didn't hear the question (which you probably didn't because you were talking or thinking about what you-know-who just said in the hall). 

 ∞ If you or a friend is facing a challenge, join forces in searching the Scriptures for guidance.  Ask God for wisdom, and thank Him for listening.  That is the equation to apply.  He is faithful to hear and respond in His perfect timing, not ours.  



David waited for God to remove Saul from the kingdom, though he had a few chances to hasten it.  He honored God by letting Him be in control, and God used that time to prepare David for being king.  God used the waiting time for our best, as our Savior came from David's lineage .


∞ We can rest assured that if we ask Him what He wants us to learn from our situation, and how He wants us to respond, the Holy Spirit will unveil that wisdom.  He doesn't just put us in a holding pattern when we wait on Him - He gives us new strength and energy:
    


"But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." 
Isaiah 40:31

"The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him." Lam 3:25

We just celebrated Palm Sunday, the day Jesus triumphantly arrived in Jerusalem.  He knew what was facing Him, yet joyfully chose to wait and carry out the redemption plan for you and me.  Jesus used the waiting time for our best.

∞ Algebra isn't hard.  Waiting is sometimes hard and requires self discipline from the Holy Spirit.

    Dear Lord, You know how hard it is for us to wait-please forgive us for that sin of wanting to control things ourselves.  We know You make all things work together for our good; we are not capable of Your thoughts.  Thank You for that.  Please grant us self-discipline to ask of You when we want control.  Amen.






     




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh