Skip to main content

Don't Take My Word for It...


google image
"There are two ways to read Scripture-the way a lawyer reads a will and the way an heir reads a will."   ~ Alexander Whyte, Scottish Theologian

Here's some weird claims for you:


❗An English livestock owner filed an insurance claim because he lost his phone inside his cow using it for a flashlight while birthing a calf on a dark night. (It was recovered but didn't work.) 

❗The best time to eat an apple is in the morning.  The worst time to eat an apple is at night.

Our muscles are  made of plants.

❗ A lady brought a $5 million lawsuit against Kraft Mac 'n Cheese claiming it took longer to prepare than the box suggested as it didn't include time to open the package, add water & stir in the cheese.  Yes it was dismissed. 

There's some ridiculous claims out there, and social media has given easy avenues to make them.  Be careful.
google image

❗There are certain claims, however, we can live our lives by, put our trust in, invest our future in, and never doubt its validity- claims about God's Word.  As His children, it is the most incredible gift He has given us.  
"Heaven and earth will disappear but My word will never disappear." Matt 24:35

It is personally given to us by God for our good, guidance and preparation:
"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.  It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.  God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work." 2 Tim 3:16-17 NLT

It applies to us today, containing all of our inheritances as His children:
"For the word of God is alive and powerful.  It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow.  It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires." Heb 4:12 NLT

❗As believers, everything should be sifted through God's Word.  We need to look it up for ourselves, and know God's Word so we know when it isn't.  



❗Did you know Canadian federal agents identify counterfeit money by knowing & studying the genuine bills, rather than the counterfeit ones?  

Websites I think are reliable are biblestudytools.com, and gotquestions.org. YouVersion Bible app is great to look at different translations of verses quickly for study. 
 
❗When we share with others or are trying to learn for ourselves, go to God's Word for everything as you ask Him for wisdom; 

"Your word is a lamp to our feet and a light to my path." (Ps 119:105)




✙ Heavenly Father, You knew we needed all the help we could get for our time of life.  Your Word is beautiful, life-giving, and life-changing!  Help us to know You better through it and be able to share who You are to others who desperately need You.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh

Why is This Happening To Me???

photo source "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."  ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher  (& also Kelly Clarkson) 👀Why is this happening to me?  Ever asked yourself that?  Are you asking yourself that right now?  I do.  Every. Single. Day.  Let me explain. 👀  As you may already know, I retired last year from a lucrative (haha) teaching career with 8th graders in math.  I know.  Vowing to NEVER GO BACK and literally kissing the ground I walked on that wasn't my 8th grade classroom every day, I thanked my Lord that I was free.  I was singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out" every day.  But oh dear ones, never say never.  A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to teach 8th grade math for a semester to kids that had no teacher but were learning online.  I strongly and confidently said "Nope" and shortly thereafter felt an urging (I would say that's how God directs me) and reconsidered.   Sometimes I think God has a sense of