Skip to main content

So, You're Saying I Still Have a Chance, Right?

permutations formula


"Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor." ~ Benjamin Franklin

☘ Haha!  Did you just experience the shudder of Algebra 2 math class?  I don't know what that formula means either.  Except that they use it to calculate the probability of winning the lotto. Did you know the odds of winning the lotto are about one in 300 million?  I mean, so you're saying we still have a chance, right?  

Don't get me wrong, I would love to win the lottery.  One of the things I would do is buy a Christmas tree farm.  Oh, and a therapy alpaca farm.  But caution- one-third of those who win the lottery end up broke.  So then what would I do with all my alpacas?

☘ Here's a story about breaking the chains of this world's thinking:



☘ The world tells us more is better.  More prestige, more money, more power, more accumulation.  


As always, Jesus had an upside-down approach to us living in the world but not of it.

"Then He said, 'Beware! Guard against every kind of greed.  Life is not measured by how much you own.'" Luke 12:15

And again, as always, God's word guides us to what's best for us- not to keep us from having any fun:

"For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.  And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows."  
1 Tim 6:10

☘ It's human nature to want to live a life of comfort.  I don't know of anyone who has ever said they wanted a life of misery and poverty.  


Money can enable us to bless people in so many ways.  
It's our heart's view of money - and how we look at it as our security.  God alone is our security. 

"Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires." Ps 27:4

☘ When we look at life through eternity's eyes, we can develop the attitude Paul had- going from a successful, educated and well esteemed businessman, to, after receiving Christ as his Savior, being flogged and jailed several times:

"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty of little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Phil 4:11-13

☘ Luck has nothing to do with it.

✙ Dear Heavenly Father,
You have promised to always be there with us, provide for us, love us.  Please help us to not mistake equivalence of Your eternal love with our physical wealth.  Help us to have our souls filled with Your Spirit of contentment in You, so we can be a blessing to others.  Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh

Why is This Happening To Me???

photo source "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."  ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher  (& also Kelly Clarkson) 👀Why is this happening to me?  Ever asked yourself that?  Are you asking yourself that right now?  I do.  Every. Single. Day.  Let me explain. 👀  As you may already know, I retired last year from a lucrative (haha) teaching career with 8th graders in math.  I know.  Vowing to NEVER GO BACK and literally kissing the ground I walked on that wasn't my 8th grade classroom every day, I thanked my Lord that I was free.  I was singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out" every day.  But oh dear ones, never say never.  A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to teach 8th grade math for a semester to kids that had no teacher but were learning online.  I strongly and confidently said "Nope" and shortly thereafter felt an urging (I would say that's how God directs me) and reconsidered.   Sometimes I think God has a sense of