Skip to main content

Woman of Your Word

 
Google image

"The Bible is the greatest of all books; to study it is the noblest of all pursuits; to understand it, the highest of all goals." ~ Charles C. Ryrie

🕮 How long does it take to start a habit?  The 21 days assumption is a myth, according to experts.  Time management expert Laura Vanderkam says in a Mon-Fri schedule, Thursday is the best day to start a new habit- Mondays are too busy, Wednesdays are typically the longest work days, then by Thursdays the work week starts to slow down. You can reinforce the habit on Friday when work is slower, continue it through the weekend and be off to a good start.

🕮 British author Samuel Smiles says of habits:

"Sow a thought, and you reap an act;
sow an act and you reap a habit;
sow a habit and you reap a character;
sow a character and you reap a destiny."

I have a lot of habits I'm not proud of.  They may involve Flaming Hot Cheetos & watching Law & Order.  But I always want to be learning and teachable.  I know time goes by quickly & I need to be self-disciplined in the present day.

🕮 It is incredibly important to be women of our word. But let's also, instead of being women that wished we were versed in the Word of God, be actual women of the Word of God.  

God's Word tells us to actively resist the world and its temptations by using our minds-

"Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind,  that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  Romans 12:2

🕮 It also tells us to let the Spirit renew our minds and attitudes-

"To put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." Eph 4:22-24

"Old Woman Reading a Bible"~ Gerrett Dou- the Louvre


🕮 So if we aren't used to delving into Scripture to renew our minds, where do we start?  How do we start?

John Maxwell (the author of Make Today Count) said we'll never change our lives until we change something we do daily.  The secret of success is found in daily routine. 

🕮 So how can we start a daily habit of reading the Bible?

First, I would say ask God for help.  In Proverbs 16 it says to "commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."  He wants us to succeed in knowing Him better. Maybe ask someone to join you in reading the Bible & commit to talking about it.  Use a reading plan or just start with the gospels in the New Testament. Just start.

🕮 According to one expert, the easiest way to form a habit (i.e. reading the Bible):
  • start with an incredibly small habit (i.e. read the Bible for 5-7 min)
  • increase in very small ways (I.e. increase by a minute or two)
  • as you build up, break habits into chunks (as you build up your daily time, maybe do some in the morning and some at another time during the day)
  • when you slip up, just get back on track the next day (no one's keeping track)
🕮 God is for us.  He wants to be our friend.  He sent His Holy Spirit to be our helper & friend.


It's not a failure if you don't read the Scripture every day; we don't earn rewards or penalties. It's not meant to be a chore. He gave it to us to know Him and His ways more intimately so we can serve Him better in this harsh & mixed up world. 




🕮 Happy and joyous reading!

✙ Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us all the tools we need to equip us in this world-Your Word, Your Holy Spirit, Your ear for listening to our prayers.  Help us to be women of Your Word.  You have equipped us for all we need this day; help us to come to You for it.  We ask for one more thing - grateful hearts to live our lives for You because You died for us to be able to live with You today & always. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh

Why is This Happening To Me???

photo source "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."  ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher  (& also Kelly Clarkson) 👀Why is this happening to me?  Ever asked yourself that?  Are you asking yourself that right now?  I do.  Every. Single. Day.  Let me explain. 👀  As you may already know, I retired last year from a lucrative (haha) teaching career with 8th graders in math.  I know.  Vowing to NEVER GO BACK and literally kissing the ground I walked on that wasn't my 8th grade classroom every day, I thanked my Lord that I was free.  I was singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out" every day.  But oh dear ones, never say never.  A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to teach 8th grade math for a semester to kids that had no teacher but were learning online.  I strongly and confidently said "Nope" and shortly thereafter felt an urging (I would say that's how God directs me) and reconsidered.   Sometimes I think God has a sense of