Skip to main content

But What About Me?

 

Google image

๐Ÿงก Years ago when I was a mom of young kids, I was in charge of the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) program at our church.  I thought a great fundraiser would be to host a craft fair.  I put out the info through the church and at the time the local paper (that was how long ago it was).

Hardly anyone came and the people that paid for their booths were pretty grouchy.  Some even left early.

๐Ÿงก I had the best of intentions.  I thought it was a great idea.  It totally tanked.

Do you ever feel like a Martha? We try so hard and no one notices.  Or we try so hard not to do something and intentions get misinterpreted.  

๐Ÿงก Only the Lord truly knows our heart.  

"For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7


But sometimes a change of heart is what we need.  We have never had a climate quite like today in our lifetime - stress, divisiveness, uncertainty, financial pressures, natural disasters & diseases- what do we do with it all?

Look at ourselves first. 


๐Ÿงก Coming before the Lord in our quiet time and asking Him to examine our hearts for our intentions:

"Search me O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" Ps 139:23-24


 

๐Ÿงก When we serve others- whether it be friends going through hard times, the homeless, newly expecting moms who have unplanned pregnancies, the elderly - we need to try putting ourselves in their shoes & listening to their perspective to genuinely being concerned for them.

Sometimes we just want to fix it, to rearrange the circumstances and it's not in our control to do it.   Sometimes we judge how they "got themselves in this situation in the first place".  

Hmmm. Ever have life not go the way you wanted it?  If not, spoiler alert: you're probably going to have life not go the way you want it sometime soon.  

๐Ÿงก But take heart, God does that so we can be more compassionate & empathetic towards others-

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and 
God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to 
comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves
 are comforted by God." 2 Cor 1:3-4



๐Ÿงก Martha loved the Lord and was trying to serve Him and others the way she knew- in a practical sense (Luke 10:38-42),  But Mary first prioritized her worship to the Lord. 

We need to be aware that the Martha in us can start taking over, and the distractions can take our eyes off of what the Lord desires, and instead put it on what we desire. 


๐Ÿงก Jesus has already answered the "what about me" question:

"We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19

Dear Heavenly Father, 
You created us to have Your heart for others - help us when we let the distractions and desires of this world conceal & prohibit that.  Open our heart to the needs of those around us so we can love on them the way You have loved us.  Spirit, we need Your help.  Amen.



 



Comments

  1. Beautiful & much needed this morning my friend‼️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and so true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  ๐Ÿ‚  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   ๐Ÿ‚  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh

Why is This Happening To Me???

photo source "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."  ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher  (& also Kelly Clarkson) ๐Ÿ‘€Why is this happening to me?  Ever asked yourself that?  Are you asking yourself that right now?  I do.  Every. Single. Day.  Let me explain. ๐Ÿ‘€  As you may already know, I retired last year from a lucrative (haha) teaching career with 8th graders in math.  I know.  Vowing to NEVER GO BACK and literally kissing the ground I walked on that wasn't my 8th grade classroom every day, I thanked my Lord that I was free.  I was singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out" every day.  But oh dear ones, never say never.  A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to teach 8th grade math for a semester to kids that had no teacher but were learning online.  I strongly and confidently said "Nope" and shortly thereafter felt an urging (I would say that's how God directs me) and reconsidered.   Sometimes I think God has a sense of