Skip to main content

Standing Room Only



 "Sir, my greatest concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." ~ Abraham Lincoln


Remember long division?  Remember in about 4th grade when you could no longer just put "R" for remainder, but had to continue dividing and make it a decimal or fraction?  Math just got harder from there.

It's pretty sad when the word division is not even positive.  It just means separating something into parts.  I feel like cell division is a good thing.  And dividing up a pizza or cookie dough just benefits us all. 

✊ But our world sure took that to the extreme, right?  We've separated just about everything into parts or sides.


✊ The "us vs. them" mentality can really dominate and commandeer our thinking today in this rabid political climate.  It shows up in every part of our culture, whether we mean it to or not.  We have to watch what words we use, our body language & how/where we spend our money.

It's a lot.  And the Bible says it will get more extreme.  So how do we respond in a way to all this that's honoring to God?

Some may think we are called to be 'meek', thinking it means to be weak. But it means more of a humility towards God and towards others.  It's pretty difficult to be humble sometimes, and to some people.  It takes a true reliance on the Holy Spirit to define our worthiness, rather than this world. 


 

✊ Daniel and his friends took a stand when the Babylonians held them in captivity, trying to force them to conform to their society and give up their religion.  They held fast and God delivered his friends from the punishment of a fiery furnace and Daniel from the lion's den.  (Daniel 1,3 and 6).  

Jesus Cleanses the Temple, by Ray Downing

Jesus chose different times to take stands when He walked this earth.  He said He did not come to bring peace to this earth (Matt 10:34-39).  One time involved overturning tables (Matt 21:12-13), but other times with His words when He was rebuking the religious leaders (Matt 23:1-36).  

✊ It's OK to take stands against things that are not of God.  His Word tells us to take stands-
  • against the Devil-
"Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil and 
he will flee from you." James 4:7

"Put on the full armor of God so that you will be able to stand firm 
against the schemes of the devil." Eph 6:11

    ✊ against injustice-
"He has told you, O man, what is good; what does the Lord require 
of you but to do justice, love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
 Micah 6:8

"Whoever sows injustice reaps calamity." Prov 22:8



    ✊ for freedom-
"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore and 
do not submit to a yoke of slavery." Gal 5:1



    ✊ for our redemption & eternity with Him-
"But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, 
Christ died for us." Rom 5:8

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, 
that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:13



When we know why we were created, who we belong to,  and what God says about our future, we can take a stand for Him & feel confidence & peace that only comes from Him.


✊ Wouldn't it be cool to see a "Standing Room Only" sign for God?




✙ Dear Lord, during this hour, on this day, for this season, could You fill us with courage and boldness to stand for You and what You love.  Help us stand firm against the temptations and schemes of the devil in our lives, and help us encourage others to do the same.  Let us be an encouragement to our brothers & sisters in You, so we can be salt to this lost world, like Daniel & his friends were back then.  Amen. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh

Why is This Happening To Me???

photo source "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."  ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher  (& also Kelly Clarkson) 👀Why is this happening to me?  Ever asked yourself that?  Are you asking yourself that right now?  I do.  Every. Single. Day.  Let me explain. 👀  As you may already know, I retired last year from a lucrative (haha) teaching career with 8th graders in math.  I know.  Vowing to NEVER GO BACK and literally kissing the ground I walked on that wasn't my 8th grade classroom every day, I thanked my Lord that I was free.  I was singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out" every day.  But oh dear ones, never say never.  A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to teach 8th grade math for a semester to kids that had no teacher but were learning online.  I strongly and confidently said "Nope" and shortly thereafter felt an urging (I would say that's how God directs me) and reconsidered.   Sometimes I think God has a sense of