Skip to main content

The Business of Busyness

 
Google image


"I have so much to do that I shall spend the first 
three hours in prayer." ~ Martin Luther

 Do you remember that busy signal you would get trying to call someone's landline and they were on the phone?  They were busy talking to someone else and couldn't get your call.

 Busyness.  In the 70s it was a landline busy signal.  It defined the role of a successful woman back in the 80s, evidenced by a full planner.  In the 90s a car phone showed we had to be able to be reached at any time.  The 2000s brought us blackberries to signal we had to electronically manage our lives, and now- well is there a person on the planet that doesn't have a cell phone?



Yet as 'connected' as we are, studies show direct links to loneliness and cell phone addiction, especially among adolescents.  


 But let's be honest, sometimes we just want to scroll and be left alone.  And then suddenly it's an hour or so later.

At first glance, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with that.  But in business (sometimes busyness) school one of the only things I remember (sad) is the term "opportunity cost" - the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.  



 In other words, when we choose to be on our phone, what are we not choosing?  What did we used to do during that time?  For some it was maybe TV, for others reading or conversing.  

Understandably, the phone can be a really useful tool.  We can look up any version of the Bible within seconds, listen to a podcast or sermon, text someone to let them know we are thinking of them.  As a drastic measure we might even use it to call someone.

 But every time we are on it we have to make choices about how we're going to use it.  I'm not always so good about that - the temptation to mindlessly scroll gets the best of me.  

And then I think - "Am I a better person for having spent my time that way?"  I mean, sure Pinterest makes us all more creative, better cooks, and excellent decorators.  I seriously don't know how people lived without it.  (And yet, there are plenty of amazing people living without it.) 

 But social media outlets can wreak havoc on our minds and self-images.  If I'm completely transparent, I will admit that Pinterest can also do that because we all fall short on that DIY thing, don't we?

What's something we can invest our scrolling time in that actually builds us up 100% of the time?  What speaks life into us regardless of where we are, what our circumstances are or our frame of mind?

God's Word speaks to us.  Here's just a few online tools (I'm sure you're using some of these already):







"Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Eph 5:15-17

 We don't necessarily harm ourselves by taking some online downtime, but how do we know what growth we are missing by doing that?    


Not judging intentions here; but boundaries are always healthy.  Is my friend/neighbor/coworker going to benefit by my well-set table and awesome recipe?  Maybe - if I am wanting to make them feel special.  The Lord knows our hearts.  

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and of discerning of thoughts and intentions of the heart." Heb 4:12

Prayer, John Phillip 1859


If you're reading this blog it's because you chose to be online. So thank you; I hope you are encouraged by it and it speaks life into you today. You are so worth it, and have spoken life into me several times.  Obviously, I am writing this blog so I chose to use online.

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and 
good deeds." Heb 10:24

 We don't want to send out a busy signal to others.  We definitely don't want to send one to God.  

✙ Dear Lord, Thank You for never being too busy for us- You promise when we call on You and pray to You that You will listen.  We know that You will hear us. You wait to be gracious to us.  You want us to know You through Jesus.  Help us to make the most of our day today and reveal Yourself to us.  Amen.  



Comments

  1. Such a great reminder!
    I Read somewhere that after your feet hit the floor on the morning,open your Bible and seek God first, before you look at your phone, even talk to your spouse .
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh

Why is This Happening To Me???

photo source "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."  ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher  (& also Kelly Clarkson) 👀Why is this happening to me?  Ever asked yourself that?  Are you asking yourself that right now?  I do.  Every. Single. Day.  Let me explain. 👀  As you may already know, I retired last year from a lucrative (haha) teaching career with 8th graders in math.  I know.  Vowing to NEVER GO BACK and literally kissing the ground I walked on that wasn't my 8th grade classroom every day, I thanked my Lord that I was free.  I was singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out" every day.  But oh dear ones, never say never.  A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to teach 8th grade math for a semester to kids that had no teacher but were learning online.  I strongly and confidently said "Nope" and shortly thereafter felt an urging (I would say that's how God directs me) and reconsidered.   Sometimes I think God has a sense of