Skip to main content

That's Amore



"Where there is love there is life." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

 

 


❤ love.  Whether it be a mom with her child, a person with their dog, a grandfather with his grandchild, a child being comforted by their parent, a friend listening intently to the concerns of their friend, a veteran for their country- so many examples of living, inspiring, breathtaking love in our lives.  

 ❤ In a less intense way I love lattes, Pride & Prejudice (both the movie and the book), Christmas time, a good cry from a movie, an incredible book I can't put down, Bova's spaghetti & sausage (now forever closed & gone-so a love lost), when I find an incredible necklace or clock at a HUGE discount at an estate sale, sitting by the fireplace on a snowy day, autumn, when my garden grows, seeing a meteor shoot across the sky or  when the Avs win the Stanley Cup.
gioogle photo


When you think of any of the above scenarios, you feel it deep within your soul that the bond between you and the other person can't be explained fully in words, but we try with terms like "committed", "unwavering", "devoted",  "dedicated" or "faithful".  And though we try the best we can, each of those relationships will fail us at times, because they are full of humans.  But we try.  In fact, on Valentine's Day the average person will spend around $175 this year on their significant others to show their love, according to Forbes.  (Jim, if you read this, I would like my $175 in Bourdeux bars from Sees Candies.)

❤ The most beautiful and thorough description of love is given to us by the most perfect example of love ever shown - in Jesus.  

Madonna and Child by Giovoni Battista Salvi da Sassoferrato

God's Word tells us:

❤ How God showed love to us-

    Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

That says in our current state of being human, the Lord died for us.  We don't have to earn it, maintain it, work for it, feel ashamed when we don't live up to it, or be afraid of losing it.  God knew and knows from the beginning who we are and how we are, but didn't make it a condition of Christ dying for us.   That's hard to fathom because we are so human.  

❤ He describes what it is-

    1 Corinthians 13:4-7 "Love is patient and kind.  Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.  It does not demand its own way.  It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being    wronged.  It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.  Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." 

❤  He ranks its' importance-

    1 Corinthians 13:13 "Three things will last forever - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." 

❤ He commands us to love one another-

    1 John 4:9-11 "This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."


💔Not sure about you but sometimes I am not patient or kind to those I love.  Sometimes my pride gets hurt and I react in a rude way.  There's been a few times that I wanted my own way and made it known.  I do get irritated, and I remember when people are mean to me.  I have been happy when someone got paid back.  I've given up on a few people, lost faith and hope, and just quit.  


Therein lies the human condition.  When we fail at God's perfect love, and we will, what do we do?  God knows we will fail at times, so in His most perfect & loving heart He made a way:

❤ Confess to Him: 

1 John 1:9 "But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness."   


❤ Confess to each other:

James 5:16 "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed." 


❤ Forgive one another

Ephesians 4:32 "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."



✙ Lord, we come to You as people who have had our hearts broken.  We desperately want and need to be loved and You fulfill every part of that.  You offer to love us unconditionally though we don't deserve it.  Please forgive us when we don't cherish You the way You cherish us.  Create in us a clean heart to love You fully & enable us to love others more fully. Amen.

Comments

  1. Thanks Terri! "Loved" it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bova’s - I miss you too! Thanks for the reminder of the greatest love which is Jesus, as we enter into Valentine’s Day 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh