Skip to main content

The Loneliness of Being So Connected -

"Automat" Edward Hopper ~1927

"Ah, look at all the lonely people." ~ the Beatles

💔  Loneliness.  It's been around since Eve ate the fruit.  David wrote about it when he asked of God, "Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted" (Ps 25:16).  He knew the God who "healed the brokenhearted and tied up their wounds" (Psalms 147:3) and confidently called on Him.  

As I mentioned in a previous blog, according to the United States Surgeon General in a report recently put out, we have a health crisis on our hands...




💔 We are soooooo connected (or so we think) - on average about 2.5 hours per day.  But in reality, behind that screen vulnerability can be hidden, according to some researchers.  We don't need to put ourselves out there in the same way we would in person.  We have much more control on a computer.

In a survey from the scienceofpeople.com, one reason for increased loneliness are working long hours- an area that, especially as Americans, we kind of tend to lose our boundaries on.  Another reason is parents are not able to find enough adult friend time - this one is kind of hard and requires some planning.  Sometimes toddler schedules are restrictive and kids' sports overtake your life.  

But it doesn't mean we don't try to reign it in.  Self-control and discipline is a fruit of the Holy Spirit- intentionally submitting our work and family activity schedule to God for His direction in prayer can highlight tendencies in our lives that don't build our relationship to God and others. 
 

💔 Even the Surgeon General knows that relationships are healing for us.  Without them we can increase our chances of heart disease, stroke and dementia.  According to the Campaign to End Loneliness website, feelings of loneliness can have the same effect on our health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day, and is worse for you than obesity.

💔  To clarify, loneliness is not the same as being alone.  



💔 Trending on social media and on the fast path to people's brains - both young and old - is the concept of self-love.  I accept me for me no matter what "me" is, and you should too.  Doesn't leave a lot of vision or opportunity for betterment.  And Time found that under this guise of self love women are encouraged to "treat" themselves to cosmetic procedures, reinforcing the idea they are not good enough, and actually isolating themselves more.  

 I find this contradictory to what God says.  The love of Christ is our foundation.  We exist not for us but for the One who "loved the world so much that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).  

When asked what the greatest commandment was Jesus responded, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment.  And a second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself" (Matt 22:37-39).  Neither of those say love yourself as yourself.  


💔  Just following those two commandments seems like a cure for loneliness to me.  God has promised:
                - to never forsake us or leave us (Deut 31:6)
                - to strengthen us, help us, uphold us (Isaiah 41:10)
                - we will never be separated from His Love (Rom 8:38-39)
                - to give us plans for welfare and not for evil (Jer 29:11)
                - to make our paths straight (Prov 3:5-6)
                - to refresh us (Prov 11:25)
                - to comfort us (2 Cor 1:4)
                                                                
💔 So that we can therefore:
                - carry each other's burdens (Gal 6:2)
                - serve others (Heb 6:10)
                - do good and share what we have (Heb 13:16)
                - love each other (John 15:12)
                - give to those who ask (Matt 5:42)
                - be gracious to the poor (Prov 19:17)
                - welcome strangers (Rom 12:13)
                - watch out for what is better for others (Phil 2:4)
                - refresh others (Prov 11:25)
                - encourage & build others (1 Thess 5:11)
                - stand up for others (Isaiah 1:17)
                - comfort others (2 Cor 1:4)



💔 We live in a very broken world.  And we are broken people.  But we were created and are loved by a perfect God, who loves each and every one of us so much that He showers us with His love so we can reach out to others, and as a result we aren't lonely.  It's a beautiful circle that can sometimes seem messy because it involves broken people.  Good thing we have God holding it together and not us, right?

✙ Lord, You are THE cure for loneliness.  You long to have us in Your presence - help us daily to see that.  When we feel lonely, remind us to turn to You to ask for guidance from Your Spirit, and then turn us outward to others.  Help us to be a cure for someone's loneliness, knowing You created us for relationship with You & others.  Amen. 










Comments

  1. Awesome! Sharing this with someone who is quite lonely. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this SO MUCH‼️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding us to be aware of reaching out to the lonely and that we are not created to live in isolation❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh