Skip to main content

What the World Needs Now is...

 


"Together we can change the world, just one random act of kindness at a time." ~ Ron Hall, author of 'Same Kind of Different as Me'

💙   I don't intend for this blog to go dark on you all, so bear with me.  It seems like we go to bed and aren't sure what we'll wake up to, doesn't it?  Last year Russia attacked Ukraine on the other side of the world from us, but we felt the ripple.  This past week Israel was attacked and it is rocking our world and has the potential to upend it.   I find myself feeling like I have no control and am a victim to whatever happens out there.  

And this doesn't even address the personal issues we or those we care about are going through.  People are getting the scary news of cancer, divorce, children going through tough times, schools misguiding our kids/grandkids.  Oh Lord, help us!

💙  None of us like feeling this way, right?  Time for some grounding.  I started this blog because I was inspired by Sister Therese of Limieux, a young nun who discovered that she probably wasn't going to do something HUGE to impact the world, so she just would do small acts of kindness to 'scatter flowers of love' to others.  

So what does that look like?  How can I make a difference today in my small circle of influence, Lord?  I don't have enough money to start an orphanage, house the homeless,  send someone for a second opinion to the Mayo Clinic, or start my own private school.   There are those who can have that big scale impact, and we can do the rest. 


💙  
God's word answers my question -Paul tells us (1 Corinthians 12:7-11spiritual gifts are given to each of us for the common good, so we can help each other.  Some are given the ability to give wise advice, some a message of special knowledge, some have great faith, the gift of healing, discernment , (Rom 12:6-8) prophesy, serving others, giving, teaching, encouraging, leadership, kindness- and the Spirit of God distributes all these gifts and decides which gift each person should have.  

💙 In 1 Peter 4:10-11 it says "God has given each of you a gift from His variety of spiritual gifts.  Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God Himself were speaking through you.  Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all your strength and energy that God supplies.  Then everything  you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ."

No matter what happens externally, no one has power over whether or not I pray for a situation.  None of this surprises God, and in fact is told to us that it would happen. 

                                                                                                                         

Jesus said in Matt 24:6 "And you will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not frightened, for these things must take place, but that is not yet the end.  For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes."

1 Peter 4:12-13 continues on, saying, "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.  Instead be very glad-for these trials make you partners with Christ in His suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing His glory when it is revealed to all the world."


What?  Be very glad?  That's definitely something I'm going to need to ask God's help on - for Him to help me see things in alignment with His plan.  When Jesus died and was resurrected from the dead, He conquered death.  So we can come to my Heavenly Father and ask for help and guidance for anything we're going through and He is there for us.  

How can we use our gifts and show You to our neighbor? Our spouse? Our coworker? That fellow driver? That person in line at the store? That homeless person? That frazzled young mom? That annoying relative? 

By a smile or wave?  An offer of prayer?   An encouraging card?  A helping hand?  A meal?  A text?  A coffee?  An offer to drive them somewhere?  A donation? 

Sometimes people just need a lift up in spirit throughout the day because the world tends to chip away at us, right?  Is that person needing to change lanes really going to destroy our day & set us behind?  When God tells us He cherishes us, should that text/action really have the power to undermine who we are?  If a financial setback occurs, is there really no getting past it?                                                                                                              

Don't let people rob us of our joy.  And, in fact, show them joy.  Be very glad we are the ones who are able to show them joy that comes only from Jesus.

 LTC Roy Peterson a retired U.S. Army Military Intelligence & Russian Foreign Area Officer, wrote this poem:

                                                    

✙ Father in heaven who reigns over all Your creation - You are our original source of joy; You created in us, by Your Spirit, the capacity to enjoy You fully, love You deeply, and love others unselfishly.  We call on that Spirit to control us when we can't control ourselves & when our feelings are trying to control us.  You designed us for love and gave us gifts. The world & its ruler tries to steal it from us and kill us little by little.  Remind us we live in victory because You rose in victory.  We are Yours & no one can steal us from You! Amen.

Book Recommendation







Comments

  1. Terri, I don't know how you do it, but you always share something that is just what I needed at the time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shell-I ask God what He wants me to write about:)

      Delete
  2. Throughout all these things going on in the world, the comfort is that God IS in control. We don't need to worry, we simply need to pray, turn it over to Him, and know His timing and plan is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh