Skip to main content

How Do We Find Good News in Such Bad Times?

 

~"Second Coming of Christ"- Gustave Dore

"God tells us what will happen before it happens so that when it happens we'll be ready and we'll believe." 
~Max Lucado, FB podcast Aug 10, 2020


📰 I am glued to the news of world events happening right now- aren't you?  I want to know how it all fits in to end times prophecy, and I want to know my role in it.  Lord, what am I supposed to be doing, and what is going to happen?

I am not a Bible prophecy scholar so I rely on those who are.  There's so many trusted Bible-believing, God-fearing, Christ-following pastors who are talking about prophecy and the events unfolding- David Jeremiah, Max Lucado, Greg Laurie, among some of them.  I am listening to podcasts, reading Scripture and am finding the alignment of their messages, which I am happy to say are there in their entirety.  


📰Over 1/4 of the Bible is prophecy, according to David Jeremiah.  The references mentioned below seem to give insight to all of these pastors.  I think we should read these books slowly, with notes either from a bible or online references, to help us understand the contents.  

Ezekiel 37 & 38 talks of Israel scattering and regathering, and the nations believed to be involved.  Israel has been scattered and regathered in 1948.  

Daniel interprets King Nebuchadnezzar's dreams, containing both prophecies that have already been fulfilled and some yet to come. 

Zechariah foretold of Israel being the center of attacks in end times (Zech 12:3-4)

Jesus told us what was going to happen in Matt 24:5-8:

            Wars and rumors of wars..." 

            "Nations will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be  famines and earthquakes in various places." 



📰 So take a look at some of these headlines as of late:

    

            Check this interactive map out - it's crazy 🠋🠋🠋🠋






📰  NEWSFLASH!!  Our hope is not in this world, nor the leaders of it.  Our hope is in an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent God-creator of heaven and earth- who "has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Tim 1:7)

We can't determine our mood based on what the news of the day is.  We need to discipline ourselves to seek God and know what He has disclosed to us in His Word.  That way we know what is coming, how it ends, and that nothing is a surprise to God.  Thus, a sound mind.

"Ah, sovereign Lord, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for You." Jer 32:17

God uses these circumstances, though intended for evil, He meant it for good (Gen 50:20).  Look at what is good going on in the world, only from God:


📰 Iranians are becoming Christians-








 

📰 God loves these people just as much as He loves us, 
and wishes for none of them to perish.  Jesus died for them too.  So what is our role?  

        To love God, love our neighbor (Matt 22:37-39,) to love justice, and mercy, and to walk humbly with our God (Micah 6:8).

        To "pray for the peace of Jerusalem! May they be secure who love you!  Peace be within your walls and security within your towers!" (Psalm 122: 6-7)

What can we control?  Ourselves.  Love on someone.  Help someone.  Listen to someone.  Pray for someone.  Show compassion to someone. 


✙ Our Father who reigns in heaven, seeing every part of the earth You created, we call on You to help us now Lord.  We ask on behalf of our brothers and sisters across the world that You would protect them, pull them closer to You as You reveal Yourself to them as only You can.  We trust in You and anticipate Your return.  Make us heaven minded, but earthly mindful - we know You're returning, and want none to perish.  Amen.


Suggested books to read:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh