Skip to main content

Marley Was Dead: To Begin With.

 


Jacob Marley, Muppet Christmas Carol

"Why did I walk through crowds of fellow-beings with my eyes turned down, and never raise them to that blessed Star which led the Wise Men to a poor abode!"
               ~ Jacob Marley, a Christmas Carol

We all love stories of redemption, cheering for the underdog, the downtrodden and the despondent having a happy ending. No one knew that better than Charles Dickens, Hollywood, and now Hallmark. Consider the following masterpieces of literature & the screen:


Why? Because we like when characters overcome obstacles, and they give us hope, and our brains need hope, according to the Washington Independent. The guy saves the girl, the girl gets the guy, the dog saves the family, the town is rescued, Christmas is saved, the team is victorious.

 While we like to focus on happy endings, let's go back to the beginning of the story- the "before".  Genesis says that when God created the garden of Eden, He gave Adam and Eve dominion over all creation, a creation that He Himself declared "good".  He "made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food" (Gen 1 and 2).  

I would say that mankind started happy-both in emotion and position, because they were made in the image of God and blessed by Him.  Then, their whole world was upheaved.

Google image

Tempted by Satan, who told them it wasn't enough- made them doubt God, doubt themselves and who they were made to be.  He planted in them the seed of discontent, idolatry, selfishness- wanting what they knew God did not want them to have.  If only they would have stopped Satan in his tracks with a hard no.  If only.  Because of this one action of defiance, they were cursed, we were cursed.  

How could they do that to us? What were they thinking?  Didn't they know how good they had it? Why didn't they just ask God? 

  Of course we would have responded differently.  Or would we?  Have we ever doubted God?  Have we ever lived like what He has said about us wasn't true?  Ever forget this truth? - 

"You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light" (1 Pet 2:9)
  
Or this fact? - 

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, so that we could walk in them"  (Eph 2:10)


Have we ever abused our body, or done things with it that were not good for us? - 


"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.  (1 Cor 6:19)


Have we ever wished we were somewhere else, had a different job, a different life, different things?  

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Phil 4: 11-13)


 This human nature that surfaced in the garden and Charles Dickens so successfully penned about,  tends to be in all of us.  Let's face it- we were dead to begin with. 

As Genesis continues, the Lord knew the rebellion would occur long before it ever did.  And He already had a plan in place to remedy it, referring to Christ-

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive 
and bear a Son, and shall call His name Emmanuel." (Isaiah 7:14)

"I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring, He shall bruise your head and you shall bruise His heel." (Gen 3:15) 

BBC image
  Scrooge had to be reminded about who he was and where he came from.  He became aware of those around him, how his actions affected them, and his personal need to change.  He reflected with angels, presumably sent by God (?) in the story. 

    
The best news is we can talk directly to our Heavenly Father, know Him better through His Word, and reflect with Him through the Holy Spirit.  Like Scrooge, the time is now to be redeemed!  

"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. (Matt 24:24)

 A beautifully written story really mirrors the urgency in our lives to be transformed by the real story of God's plan of redemption for us because of our belief in what Jesus did for us, planned long before out of His Love.  

 As this season is the celebration of God's generous incomprehensible Gift, how can we be unworldly and show this amazing display of unselfish, unending LOVE to others so they'll want what we have, know who we know, and love the One who we love?  The time is NOW!! 

 As our poor friend Jacob Marley realized too late -

"Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business." 

We can all have a true happy ending.

✙ Heavenly Father, You have provided for us all a true Merry Christmas that has a happy ending.  Could You give us Your power and light during this season to show Your love to others- give us energy & creativity in how to do it, place in our paths those who need it, and Holy Spirit lead us through it!  We only want Your power Lord, not our own.  This world needs to know The Babe that came to save it.  Let us point the way!  Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh