Skip to main content

The Best Loyalty Reward Program...

Ruth and Naomi - Yael Harris Resnick

 
"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for." ~Mark Twain

🦮 Loyalty.  What does it look like?  Is it that you promise to shop at the same store more than others?  Do you go to a restaurant so much they know your name?  Would you still sit in the stands of your favorite football team with a windchill of -30 (hmmm - any Bronco fans out there)? Do you vow to never eat at Taco Bell again until they bring back the spicy tostada?   
I personally swear by Joico hairspray level 10 because I know if I endure a windstorm of 60+ mph my hair will still be in place, however flammable it may be.

As a reward for reading my blog I give you (from Pinterest of course) the copycat recipe for Zuppa Toscana soup.  Trust me, you'll want to make it.  


Probably not the best examples of loyalty.  But take a look at these:

🦮 For over nine years a Japanese Akita dog named Hachiko would faithfully wait at the train station every day for his owner to return, not understanding that his owner had died.  A symbol of loyalty and devotion in Japanese culture and globally, a movie was made about this amazing dog.



🦮 William Wallace was famously known for his loyalty to Scotland, as he fought fearlessly for its' freedom from England.  His story is recounted in the movie "Braveheart" (which my husband watches about twice a year for inspiration-not sure for what?), where he dies one of the most violent and cruelest deaths and becomes a national martyr.  



🦮 Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher have the longest recorded marriage, according to the Guinness Book of World Records- 86 years and 290 days.  When asked what their secrets were, they said, "We wouldn't change a thing.  There's no secret to our marriage, we just did what was needed for each other and for our family... we are both Christians and believe in God.  Marriage is a commitment to the Lord.  We pray with and for each other every day." 


🦮 Lawrence Anthony formed a trusting bond with the matriarch of an elephant herd that was traumatized.  When he died unexpectedly the matriarch led the herd for miles to his home to mourn him. They returned at the same time for the next two years. Elephants mourn the death of family members.


The book of Ruth in the Bible (a quick 4 chapter read) is an astounding example of a loyal young woman who did not want to leave her widowed mother-in-law, Naomi, though she was a widow herself in a culture that didn't really allow for women to make their own choices for their future.  She trusted Naomi completely and wanted to follow her in her faith, stating,

"Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live.  Your people will be my people, and your God my God."  Ruth 1:16b

Both Naomi and Ruth were rewarded for their faith.  God showed His Provision for both of them through a man named Boaz, who prayed, acknowledging Ruth's loyalty to Naomi, 

"May the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge, reward you fully for what you have done."  Ruth 2:12


Look at God's loyalty rewards program through the lives of these people - it's restoration and redemption:


    🦮 Ruth had respected Naomi to the extent she was willing to deny herself another path of least resistance to pursue something she deemed important,  and was rewarded by God for her integrity.  She desired to have Him be her God, though she was a Moabite (a foreigner), and He blessed her with a husband and child, which ultimately created the lineage Jesus, the Savior of the world, was born through.  

    🦮 Naomi trusted in her God and He rewarded her wisdom by restoring her joy through her grandchild and family.  

    🦮 Boaz was blessed for his willingness to help and faithfulness in fulfilling his God-given duties to Ruth, a foreigner, and a widow, by giving him a bride and son.


 We have a God who rewards those who are loyal to Him.  When we seek Him out as our God, look for where He is working in our lives, trust that He will provide for us, and reach out to bless others because He has blessed us, we are loyal to Him.


✙ Dear Heavenly Father, we take refuge under Your wings.  Expand our loyalty to You in the little things each day - our time with You, our actions towards others, our priorities.  You promise to reward those who sincerely seek You, and we want to be faithful in seeking You.  Reveal in our lives the places of inconsistency, and mold us to be more like You. Amen





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh