Skip to main content

Knocking on Heaven's Door

 


"Earth has no sorrow that heaven
cannot heal." ~ Troy Ramey, artist



My mom knocked on heaven's door this week, and was let in.  She had lived 94 years on this earth- through the Great Depression, tragedy, and a host of health issues- but plodded on with feistiness and a sense of humor.

My mourning wasn't the only woe being experienced this week- miscarriages, mental illness, broken family relationships, fear of uncertainty - all woes this broken world has handed out to people I love.  And the prince of this world loves to throw them at us relentlessly.  Lord, how do we endure? How do we fight back the tendency to grow tired of it and let it rob us of our  joy?


We ask God to give us the fruit of self-control and guard our minds.  

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is
excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."  Phil 4:8


So what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy?  

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things
above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on
things above, not on earthly things."  Col 3:1-2

We believe every one of Jesus' words, and He said in John 14:4-6 that we would know the way to the place where He was going, and that He was the only way to get there.  We cannot look to things, possessions, accomplishments, spouses, children, occupations and other earthly things to be our Savior; they will always disappoint.  We can only look to Him for purpose in this life and after this life.  



So if I can encourage you today, start reading God's Word about our next home in heaven.  There's also a great book from Dr. David Jeremiah called "The Promise of Heaven".  It is not a place where we will sit on a cloud all day being bored.  God, in all His creativity, originality, riches, grace, kindness and mercy has prepared a place for us with eternal pleasures (Ps 16:11) and no more death, mourning, crying or pain (Rev 21:4).

Imagine laying our sorrows at Jesus' feet, and let our minds rest in the assurance that He is returning soon and taking us to a home that is so incredible that our minds can't even comprehend it.

Lord, we knock on Your door in heaven, and hope that You open it soon. 


✙ Heavenly Father, we seek You now and You promise we will find You.  We need Your assurance, Your guidance, Your joy - sometimes this world tries to rob us of that.  Fill our hearts and minds with things not of this world; create in each of us a bigger heart for Your home, and let it affect us here on earth for Your glory.  Amen.
  



Comments

  1. Teri I’m so sorry for the loss of your mom. Iyou had her such a long time, my mom is 95 and ready to go home. I’ll be praying for your family. Sounds like you’re going through a tough time. He never promised us heaven on earth,

    but we can find His angels around us and you’re one of them. God bless you and your family! Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gretchen. I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:           ...

Oh The Places You'll Go!

  Reading of "Oh The Places You'll Go  "Congratulations!  Today is your day!  You're off to great places!  You're off and away!  ~ Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess It's that time of year - hundreds of thousands are graduating from preschool through college and Dr. Seuss wrote a primary book that applies to each one of these levels - it's really quite genius. 🎓  Touching on some of the conceptual highlights, as always we sift them through God's Word... 🎓  "You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes" - "So prepare your minds for actions and exercise self-control.  Put all your hope in the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world."  1 Pet 1:13 🎓  "You can steer yourself any direction you choose"; avoid the 'not so good street'.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek His will in all you do, and He will s...