"Marriage is meant by God to put that Gospel reality on display in the world." ~John Piper, preacher & author
But this week I attended a wedding that was truly refreshing - God was revered from the very first moment, given the most honorable place at the event. While I've been to many weddings that acknowledge God, I am sad to say I've also been to some where God is not even mentioned.
I don't have any idea how a marriage hopes to survive or thrive without God as the center of the relationship. Looking back over my 40 years of marriage, reflecting on the challenges we faced as a couple- personally, financially, and spiritually - there is just no hope of success outside of our Lord.
Forgiveness, trust, hope and purpose are all vital elements of a marriage relationship, in human form. If any of these don't exist it seems like we would just be settling. Until the perfect union of Christ to us, His church, we must ask the Holy Spirit to help us with each of these things not just at the beginning, but throughout our marriage.
Without forgiveness, we can't move past the hurts that will no doubt wound us, and we wouldn't be able to use them to mold our faith. We humbly live out our gratitude that He forgave us of all our sin by forgiving our spouse, and asking for forgiveness.
We trust in God, the Author of our faith, to sanctify us to be more like Him. We believe that He will complete His good work in us as our Creator, and our hope lies in knowing He will return for us.
We pursue God individually so that we can find a common purpose of mission with our spouse. We understand that both of our relationships to God enable us to unify with each other with likemindedness.
I cried at this wedding (as I always do); I think part of it was that this young couple had already conquered such a huge battle - finding and loving the pursuit of God in each other, pushing out the noise of this world to boldly proclaim their desire for God to lead them in marriage and to embrace His kingdom rather than the passions of this world.
Bravo for them desiring a cord of three strands. Such a witness to a hurting world. Hallelujah!





Comments
Post a Comment