"Life starts all over again when it
gets crisp in the fall."
~F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Great Gatsby
August 22nd. I did it. I put up my fall decor in my house. That's right - my house, my rules. Many of you are gasping at the wildly unreasonable ridiculousness of that decision. "Stop rushing summer out! Just enjoy summer!" I hear you but I don't agree. I only endure summer so fall and winter come.
"Great Caesar's Ghost!"
"What in tarnation?"
"Land Sakes Alive!"
"Is she pulling my leg?"
What prompted such an outlandish action was some yellow leaves on the ground from aspen trees in our yard. I guess the drought is causing them to turn sooner than usual. So I, too, went with that schedule.
But to my absolute horror other aspen leaves are just turning brown and crinkling up as a reaction to the drought. No water, no color.
I'm taking some pretty wide analogy liberties here, but it did make me think that when we have a spiritual drought, don't we, too, respond to situations by curling up and falling flat. When suddenly our moods haven't been ones we are proud of, or our reactions have been less than kind, we realize that we haven't been in the Word or had a quiet time in what we thought was a few days but actually ended up being a week. That's a drought, and we are responding likewise.
Conversely, when we spend time with God, He says 'blessed is the one...'-
..."whose delight is in the law of the Lord
and who meditates on His law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither,
whatever they do prospers."
Psalm 1:2-3
Can't you just visualize the gorgeous leaves shaking in the cool breeze because they have enjoyed a good watering? When we come before the Lord daily we are watering our souls and hearts, building our trust in Him and placing our hope and confidence in Him, causing us to be like...
"trees planted along a riverbank, with roots
that reach deep into the water."
Jer 17:8
When we want to flourish in our lives we begin by daily centering our hearts and minds on Him and with Him. Only then can we take on what the world dishes out, with the lens of God's purposes. Our roots are deeply grounded in Him and we can sustain and colorfully thrive.
And I'm telling you, without time with our Lord, well that dog just won't hunt!
OK I'll stop now, but gee whiz! We need to read our Bibles! Happy start of fall🍂🍂🍂
✙ Dear Father in Heaven, every season is such an incredible reminder of Your amazing creation and majestic powers. We delight and marvel at Your ingenuities and bow our hearts in gratitude and awe for You. Help our hearts to desire You more and make us mindful of our need for You day by day. Take out distractions and busyness and help us to trust and obey You. Amen.






Oh thank you Terry
ReplyDeleteI have no words only gratitude for this reminder
Gretchen