Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning Your Brain



Google photo
"Start where you are.  Use what you have. Do what you can. ~ Arthur Ashe, pro tennis player


  It's funny what creatures of habit we are.  How many of you take the same route somewhere just because it's the quickest?  Or order the same thing from Taco Bell since you were in 
high school- that would be ridiculous, right?  Ahem.  I mean, there is an argument to be said that if it's good why change it. Anybody in need of a hairstyle or makeup change because you are tired of yours but it doesn't take that much time to get ready, so you just keep doing the same?  




 We are indeed those creatures.  Sometimes it's good, because it's a productive habit, sometimes it's just convenient.  In my last blog I talked about those ruts we tend to get in-regardless of our role in life.  Some habits are great because we have honed our skill, and we don't have to think about it & we can devote our brain to other things.  Some habits just develop because we weren't paying attention & whoops there it is.  Both of those kind of habits can be good and are a vital part of discipline.  


Spring cleaning is one of those checklist items that hovers over us each year because we think it's something that needs to be done.  I mean, I'm a full supporter of once-a-year cleaning, but I think we are better people if we make it a habit more frequently to declutter our houses and some parts of our lives (or at least to run a check). Then at least I don't need to just entertain at night when it's darker.  One summer I literally found baby Jesus, who had been missing from the Nativity, under a piece of furniture.  My grandson was in the "put things in small places where they'll never be found" phase.  But six months later??  I'm embarrassed.




According to Charles Duhigg's book, The Power of a Habit, the part of our brain that helps us make habits is tied to our emotions, memories & pattern recognition.  Decision-making is tied  to another part.  So once you develop your habit, the decision part of the brain isn't as active.  He says if you want to break a habit go on vacation, because your norm is disrupted & it's easier to not fall into that cycle.

 As Christians, we want to develop those habits that help us draw closer to God, like reading & memorizing scripture so our mind recalls it when needed, and turning to God first in prayer when life hits us.  It becomes our go-to.  So if our daily habit is to spend time with God, the reward we get is immeasurable in so many ways, but at a minimum we know we have obeyed scripture & prioritized our relationship with Him. 


google photo



This is what that daily habit is resulting in, among many other things:

We learn to cast our anxiety on Him  1 Peter 5:7
We are silent before Him as He fights for us  Ex 14:14
Our strength is renewed; we're not weary  Isaiah 40:31
We are not afraid & we're strong  Isaiah 41:10
We please Him with our faith  Heb 11:6 

 We may not experience an emotional high during that quiet time, but we indeed get a Spirit-permeating rest that refreshes our soul.  That's the daily discipline.   If you aren't sure how to start, please email me-I have a lot of suggestions.  When we start to make a conscious effort to get out of the house to go gather with the church at the church, we develop another part of our ministry to our family.  When we respond to different scenarios throughout the day with "Why don't we just quick pray about it", we are showing and practicing our dependency on God to our children & circle.  

It literally transforms our mind (Rom 12:2) & gives us power to align with heaven and not the world.  We are drawing on His Spirit that gives us power, love and self-discipline (1 Tim 1:7).

 
 Declutter your mind & heart of old habits and ways, and replace it with His thoughts & ways.

Start today.  Right where you are.  With what you have.  

Then go start vacuuming under your furniture.
                                                                            

✙ Heavenly Father, thank You for promising to complete us as Your good work.  You know we can't do it on our own.  In this world today, right where we are, we desire to know & love You more so we can share who You are & show Your love to those who need You so badly.  Empower us to eliminate busyness from our daily lives, and when we feel 'less than' help us remember who we are because of who we belong to.  We are Your cherished children.  Thank You. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

  🍂  A TRUE FRIEND ACCEPTS WHO YOU ARE, BUT ALSO HELPS YOU BECOME WHO YOU SHOULD BE ~ unknown small thing #3 - a friend in need is a friend indeed   🍂  I'm not what you would call a 'touchy feely person'; I'm more of a taskmaster.  I make lists about things I've already done to see them in a list. I think in bullets, I am direct, and an extrovert most of the time. I sometimes just say what others are thinking.   I am a "one" on the personality enneagram I'm told (I'm sure that's going to cause some of you enneagram experts to put me in a particular profile box) but I am probably better fit for a bag that changes forms.  I want to constantly be changing and redefining myself (for the better I hope).  So the fact that I said I am a one and I want to change should show I can't be defined.  Except I'm constantly critical of myself - oh wait - that's what a "one" is. Here's one Enneagram chart I found:                    

This Little Light of Mine

  "Women Kneeling in Prayer", George Henry Boughton "We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God." ~ Dr. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ Ahhh. Fall.  The smell of fallen leaves, crisp morning air, colorful mums between pumpkins, cinnamon.  Doesn't it feel like your soul just got hugged by an old friend?  It's easy to find joy in the little things in this season that give us a temporary lift. And then we turn on the news.   Joy zapped.   Last blog we talked about how we can fight the battle of losing our joy by using our gifts God gave us to bring a little cheer to others.  I hope you thought about some ways you could incorporate that into your daily life.  Your gifts are yours, and others need you to use them.  I have benefited this past week by gifts some of my friends & family have used - listening to me, challenging me to act on some intellectual pursuits, thinking of me with texts, encouraging me with nostalgia,

What Are You Made Of?

Michelangelo-Creation of Adam "Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself." ~ C.S. Lewis   ☝ What are you made of?  Sugar, spice, everything nice? Or snips and snails and puppy dog tails?  Spit and vinegar?  How were we made?  What do we do with how we're made?   Do we say "That's just how I am" (referring to both our strengths and weaknesses)?  Do we think we are what we eat?  (If so I am "en fuego" because of flaming hot Cheetos.)   ☝ When I think of how I'm made, I think sometimes I am like cookie dough - a little structure (flour), seasoned (salt), joyful (chocolate chips), sweet (sugar)- all looks good on the outside when put together; but I know what else is inside that isn't visible:  a mixture of selfishness, anger, arrogance, insecurity, doubting, a lack of confidence.  Perceptions lead to beliefs.  Or do beliefs lead to perceptions? And are they accurate? The ChocolaTess So just what are we made of?  Let's look at wh